Sunday, September 2, 2012

Artist Highlight - Michael Gardner



Hometown:
Des Plaines, IL 

Preferred Mediums:
Acrylic, Pen and Ink, and Pencil 

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc. Art Walk?:
This is my first year.

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?:
I received my Bachelor’s Degree for Studio Art at Carthage College, Kenosha WI.

What is your art about & what inspires your work?:
My art is about the visceral nature of art itself and its influence through the internal subconscious. Almost anything can inspire my work, but the strongest factor is music. 

What is your creative process like?:
I begin with nothing but a strong urge. With that urge, I dive into the moment. Without the spontaneity of pure inspiration, the work is simply that: work. As I create, I alter, rearrange, and morph subconscious thoughts into a cohesive composition that I don’t even know what it will turn in to. In the end, the work speaks for itself both creatively and visually.

How or when in your life did you know you wanted to be an artist? 
When I was ten I wanted to be an artist. Nothing has changed since. 

Where can your work be viewed? 
On my website at http://visceralmind.webs.com.

What shows have you displayed in?
I have only displayed one individual show in Chicago at Studio Within in 2011. 

What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East?
Experiencing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment