Saturday, September 15, 2012

Artist Highlight - Terry Guffey Vermillion




Hometown:
Fenton, Mo

Preferred Mediums:
Acrylic on canvas.

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc? Art Walk? 
This is the first year.

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?
MA in Studio Art from Lindenwood University.  I was fortunate to study with Myron Kozman of the Bauhaus movement.

What is your art about & what inspires your work?
I paint images and impressions from my life.  Life passes around me at 100 miles an hour as I travel through the day. It leaves me with colors and shapes that I put on canvas. Sometimes the images are concrete, sometimes they are abstract. But each painting has a little of the motion and color of today.  The color will grab your attention first and then the shapes emerge.  With an extensive exposure to the entertainment arts, I want my artwork to grab the viewer, keep the viewer involved, and even invite them back to view again. Like a good movie you want to watch over and over, fine art should call you back to look, to think, and to wonder.

What is your creative process like? 
I don’t think I have one.  I go to my studio and paint.  I have enough ideas in my head to last 3 lifetimes!

Where can your work be viewed? 

What shows have you displayed in?
There are too many to name. I always have art showing somewhere, lately in Sequim, WA and St. Tammany Art Center, Louisiana.

What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East?
The best part is the dedication of both professionals and volunteers to finding and creating opportunities for artists.  Artists badly need a group of people who can connect the artist with the art collector.

No comments:

Post a Comment