Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Artist Highlight - Diane Balber




Hometown:
St. Louis

Preferred Mediums:
Jewelry-Fine Silver

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc. Art Walk?
This is my first year.

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?
I studied design in college and continued taking classes in drawing, painting, ceramics, glass blowing, papermaking and more. Along the way I discovered a new medium know as PMC (Precious Metal Clay).  This is fine silver (.999) in a clay form that allows you to sculpt, construct and hand form pieces. With a strong background in ceramics I was drawn to the ability to create patterns and textures. I took a few classes and have been learning a lot on my own through trial and error and many books.  Recently, I attended the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts to take on some intense studies.


What is your art about & what inspires your work? 
Organic designs that are influenced by nature.  I look for textures and patterns that can incorporate this look such as floral and leaf design.  I want the work to be pieces that can be enjoyed everyday but still have a sense of elegance with a relaxed look.  My work reflects the design I'm drawn to in most mediums as well as decor. 

What is your creative process like?
I like to sketch a lot of my designs to get my concept started.  I pay attention to trends in design and fashion but bring my own style to the pieces.  The textures can help me execute the direction of the designs as well.  I also like to roll out pieces and try different texture to see how they look before the final design. I enjoy creating elements in different shapes with various patterns and playing with these pieces to see what I can create.  

How or when in your life did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I would have to say I've been an artist almost my whole life.  I began taking art classes as early as 10 and had much of my interest in art nurtured by my mother.  She took me to the art museum and enrolled me in art classes.  I continued taking classes in high school, college and after I graduated.  Art and the creative process have always been a constant for me.  About 6 years ago, I quit my regular job and became a full time artist.  It has not been easy but I love what I do and my husband has been a huge supporter.

Where can your work be viewed? 
Mostly at art fairs but I do have my work in a handful of stores and galleries.  You can also see a samples of my work on my website www.dianebalberdesigns.com

What shows have you displayed in?
I travel a lot for shows but here are some of the shows I have done as well as what is coming up soon: Telluride Festival of the Arts, Broad Ripple Art Fair (Indianapolis), American Artisan Festival (Nashville), Midwest Salute to the Arts, Art Fair on the Square (Lake Forest, IL), Edwards Place Fine Art Fair (Springfield, IL), Art in the Park (Highland, Il & St. Louis).  I keep an updated calendar of my shows on my website.
 
What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East? 
There are a lot of really great artists in the metro area (some of which I am happy to own works).  I attend art fairs that I am not in and go to several art openings at many of the wonderful galleries in the area as well.  Many people don't realize that there are great artists here and have a tendency to discount us because we are the Midwest.  I have loyal clients who have come back to me over the years too and with shows like this I hope will increase my exposure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment