Monday, August 27, 2012

Artist Highlight - Gabriela Figueroa


Hometown:
St. Louis, MO
Lima - Peru

Preferred Mediums:
Jewelry

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc. Art Walk?
This is my first year!

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?
I went to Webster University.

What is your art about & what inspires your work?
I love to travel and learn about different cultures. I get inspiration from anything like the texture of a Turkish Kilim to the vibrant colors of traditional Tunisian doors to the exotic sounds of the Amazon jungle. My designs are fun, colorful, and bold, yet classy and timeless. 

What is your creative process like?
Since every single piece of jewelry I design is one of a kind (except for some earrings), each piece has a different process. I may look at a strand of fabulous gemstones and automatically know what I want the necklace or bracelet to look like. Many times, if I can’t get to work at that time, I’ll draw my idea and work on later on.

How or when in your life did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I never decided or wish to be an artist, it just sort of happened.

Where can your work be viewed? 
Currently, I sell my work at art fairs and festivals, through my Etsy site: capricedesigns.etsy.com and at a local boutique Dazzle Me Twice in the Central West End.

What shows have you displayed in?
Taste of St. Louis, Central West End Art Festival, Evanston Ethnic Art Festival, Greentree Festival, Art in the Park @ St. Louis Hills, Peoria Art Festival.

What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East?
I just love how diverse it is and how fast it’s growing, it’s amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment