Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Artist Highlight: Mary Hummert



Hometown: St. Libory, IL

Preferred Mediums: Broken and Discarded jewelry pieces, architectural salvage and furniture hardware, to name a few.

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc. Art Walk? This will be my third year.

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?  Self taught other than fine art courses at SWIC. 

What is your art about & what inspires your work? My art consists of upcycled one of a kind wearable art and home décor pieces which are greatly inspired by the Victoria era, nature, history, religion and other oddities with a small nod to the growing steampunk genre.  My art is very “green” as I use elements and materials destined for the landfill and/or recycling bin.

What is your creative process like?  I become inspired by nature, fashion, thoughts, people, etc and when the inspiration becomes an obsession I turn that into a piece of wearable art in the form of a fine art belt buckle or headband or one of my statement necklaces.  Most recently a lot of my inspiration has turned into small wall sculpture.  Very cool, odd - yet whimsical and interesting. 

How or when in your life did you know you wanted to be an artist?  I’ve been a creative soul all my life but recently really focused on my creative side 4 years ago.  

Where can your work be viewed?  My work can be viewed on line at www.pairabelles.com and at several local retail shops.  Also I am an artist at the Foundrie in Chesterfield Mall, an artisan boutique. 

What shows have you displayed in? I am a proud member of the St. Louis Craft Mafia and display my items at most, if not all, of the St. Louis Craft Mafia events such as “Green with Indie”, “Indie Craft Revolution” and Strangefolk Festival.  I’m also privileged to be one of the hand picked artists at Kay Weber ‘s Art and Craft Show in Belleville as well as Country Treasure shows throughout the year.  I’ve been an award winning artist at the Clinton County Art Guild Show and vend at numerous art/craft shows in the greater metro area.  I’ve also been featured on Great Day St. Louis (next airing is August 1st).

What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East? The appreciation between the artists and their individual art is amazing.  There is great effort to alert each other of the “good” shows and speedy internet advisement of any upcoming events that would be a good fit for each other’s individual art.  The advertisement for sponsored events is awesome .  Such great pride in the St. Louis artisan community and the shared respect is simply untouched.

No comments:

Post a Comment