Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Artist Highlight - Liam Hughes




Hometown:
Ishpeming, MI… but I split my time between Milwaukee, WI, and Nenagh, Co Tipperary, Ireland now.


Preferred Mediums:
Folk Art Jewelry

How many years have you participated in the Art on the Bluffs, Inc. Art Walk?
This is my first year.

Where did you go to school, earn a degree, or formally study art?
I have my BFA from the Portland State University.

What is your art about & what inspires your work?
I recover pieces of broken antique and contemporary dishes and turn them into wearable pieces of art. The shards and their history and the techniques used in making the original piece inspire my work.

What is your creative process like?
I follow the folk art tradition of Pique Assiette which translates to “stolen from the plate.” This leads me on a path of recovering and recycling things that would otherwise be discarded and turning them into something decorative and useful.

How or when in your life did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to be an artist. I was blessed with very supportive parents who encouraged my creative endeavors.

Where can your work be viewed? 

What shows have you displayed in?
Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts, Chicago One of a Kind, New York One of a Kind, Southwest Arts Festival, and the Tempe Festival of the Arts.

What do you most enjoy about the art scene in St. Louis/Metro East?
I’m just getting my feet wet in this part of the country, but I’ve found people here to be genuinely interested in the artistic process and appreciative of craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment